The Hugo Awards at DisCon III
The Hugo Awards are the premier award in speculative fiction and recognize the best science fiction and fantasy have to offer across literature, media, and fandom. We are excited to administer this year’s awards and honor the works that have advanced the genre in 2020.
Nominations for the 2021 Hugo Awards
We are also pleased to announce that nominations for the 2021 Hugo Awards are now open and will remain open until 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time (PDT) on March 19, 2021. Nominations for the Lodestar Award for Best Young Adult Book and the Astounding Award for Best New Writer are also open.
As a reminder, DisCon III has decided to use its power under the constitution of the World Science Fiction Society (WSFS) to create a special committee category for the 2021 Hugo Awards: Best Video Game.
All CoNZealand members and DisCon III members who registered before 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time (PST) December 31, 2020, are eligible to nominate. If you’re eligible to nominate, you should have previously received an email from DisCon III. Please check your inbox, spam folder, and automatic filters such as the Promotions tab in Gmail. If you haven’t received an email, contact email@example.com for assistance. To access the nomination portal, please visit www.discon3.org and select ‘Members Area’ under ‘Membership.’ Then, follow these steps:
- Enter the address this email was sent to and request sending a login link to you.
- Click your login link in the email just sent and enter the Members’ Area.
- Select ‘My Memberships and Ballots’ to access all memberships linked with that email address.
- Then, select ‘Nominate for Hugo Awards’ under the appropriate membership.
- You will then see instructions for completing the nomination ballot. You must agree to the terms by typing the full name associated with the membership into a confirmation box before you can begin entering your nominations.
You can make up to five nominations in each category. Be sure to save once you have made your nominations. You can save each category individually or keep them all at once by selecting the button at the bottom of the ballot. You can make as many changes as you like to your nomination ballots up until the deadline. An hour after you stop making changes to your ballot, the site will email you a copy of your selections.
The Hugo Awards are fan-run, fan-given, and fan-supported. We recommend that you nominate the works and creators you have personally read or seen that were your favorites from 2020.
If you prefer a printable paper form, you can download one here:
After the nomination period closes, our Hugo Administration team will prepare the list of finalists and the final ballot, which we hope to announce in mid-April 2021. The awards will be presented at DisCon III.
We will post more information about voting and accessing the voter’s packet here in late spring 2021.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have difficulties accessing the online ballot, or if you have any other questions on the Hugo process.
Hugo Finalist Liaison Team
- Gather creators’ names and contact information
- Create and foster connections with the program and events teams who manage program participation and the Awards ceremony and reception.
- Provide relevant and timely information to finalists
Hugo Awards-related policies
We will be updating our Hugo Awards policies as quickly as possible.